We are Tini (29, Tanzanian) and Tizia (26, German) and since April 2015 we are running the Nyumbani
Hostel. Tini is a professional tour guide and loves the nature and already climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru. Tizia has a Bachelor in Cultural Anthropology and works for the hostel.
Miriam (29, German) is the onside manager of the new hostel and also works for our volunteer and intern organization Viva Tanzania.
Due to our studies and backgrounds we engage ourselves in post colonialism, images of Africa in the media and tourism as well as stereotypes. We are making an effort towards international understanding and show our guests that ”Africa” or better to say “Tanzania” are more than the stereotypes one get transported in Europe and North America.
For more information on that topic check out the following videos on YouTube:
- Who wants to be a Volunteer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcflrj_rRc
- Africa for Norway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLqyuxm96k
- Let's save Africa! - Gone wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiAcoDGZ6I
- African Men. Hollywood Stereotypes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSElmEmEjb4
- The Danger of a Single Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg