Upon arrival at the hostel you will meet our Manager Theresia aka Teddy. She will show you room and the house and is happy to answer all your questions regarding Arusha, safaris, day trips and much more!
Tini (30, Tanzanian), Tizia (27, German) and our son Taras (born in March 2018) are the owner of Nyumbani Hostel which opened it's doors in May 2015. Tini loves nature and besides safari experience, he has summited both Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru. He loves to share his culture with travelers, providing them insight and guiding them to further understanding of Tanzanian life.
Tizia studied Cultural Anthropology and has lived in Tanzania for almost a decade, travelling, volunteering and working. Being a traveller herself Tizia know what it takes to make your time in
She will be your first contact when getting in touch via email or social media.
The both work for the hostel as well as their volunteer and intern organization Viva Tanzania.
Due to our studies and backgrounds we engage ourselves in post colonialism, images of Africa in the media and tourism as well as stereotypes. We are making an effort towards international understanding and show our guests that ”Africa” or better to say “Tanzania” are more than the stereotypes one get transported in Europe and North America.
For more information on that topic check out the following videos on YouTube:
- Who wants to be a Volunteer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcflrj_rRc
- Africa for Norway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLqyuxm96k
- Let's save Africa! - Gone wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiAcoDGZ6I
- African Men. Hollywood Stereotypes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSElmEmEjb4
- The Danger of a Single Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg